Friday, 05 March 2021
  2 Replies
  1K Visits
Votes
Undo
  Subscribe

I have a yucca that's not doing very well and I'm having trouble diagnosing the problem. I got it sometime in the fall, and left it in the nursery pot. I watered it once about a month or two after I brought it home, and the yellowing/wilting started then. I've trimmed back the wilting leaves and left it to dry out but the remaining leaves are shriveling and drooping. There's sand on top to deter gnats. 

more than a month ago
·
Votes
Undo

Oh dear, that doesn't look very unhappy!

Generally, it doesn't look like a disease. I notice that there does appear to be some relatively healthy growth towards the back, near the bottom. This suggests to me that it is very recoverable.

The first thing I would do is remove it from the current pot and either transplant it into the ground, or into a larger pot - at least 4 or 5 times bigger than the existing pot. Give it some fresh potting mixture (well draining) and a good water.

Keep the soil moist, but not saturated.

Also, I would remove all the dead growth - don't just pull of the leaves, actually remove by cutting the stem below the dead growth, leaving just what I believe will be healthy stem - new growth buds should emerge in a month or two.

After a month or two, I would hope you would see improvement.

more than a month ago
·
Votes
Undo

Hi! Thank you for your response. It’s very comforting to know this isn’t anything out of the ordinary. I’ll remove it from the nursery pot and place it in the larger pot. 

Any recommendations for well-draining soil that’s sturdy enough to hold it? I typically use a mix of Black Gold with perlite but would probably add in some Epsoma cactus soil for this one as well. If you have proportions for perlite/soil, I’d love to know. 

For removing dead growth, I’ve been cutting as close to the base of the leaf as possible. By the stem, are you referring to the whole cluster of leaves? A video or diagram could be helpful.

Thank you again!

• Page :
There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!

Subscribe to our Newsletter

newsletter1